Current:Home > ScamsFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -Blueprint Money Mastery
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:14:47
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank CenterDec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (463)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Prosecutors accuse Sen. Bob Menendez of introducing Qatari royal family member to aid NJ businessman
- To become the 'Maestro,' Bradley Cooper learned to live the music
- Big city crime in Missouri: Record year in Kansas City, but progress in St. Louis
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Lisa Rinna Bares All (Literally) in Totally Nude New Year's Selfie
- Cause still undetermined for house fire that left 5 children dead in Arizona, authorities say
- 'You Are What You Eat': Meet the twins making changes to their diet in Netflix experiment
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Series of small explosions, no injuries reported after 1.7-magnitude quake in New York
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Brother of powerful Colombian senator pleads guilty in New York to narcotics smuggling charge
- Forest Whitaker’s Ex-Wife Keisha Nash Whitaker’s Cause of Death Revealed
- Who won Powerball? See winning numbers after Michigan player snags $842 million jackpot
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- The 1972 Andes plane crash story has been told many times. ‘Society of the Snow’ is something new
- RHOSLC's Season Finale Reveals a Secret So Shocking Your Jaw Will Drop
- Dalvin Cook, Jets part ways. Which NFL team could most use him for its playoff run?
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Shay Mitchell Looks Like Kris Jenner's Twin After Debuting New Pixie Cut
Bachelor Nation's Bryan Abasolo Breaks Silence on Difficult Decision to Divorce Rachel Lindsay
Hong Kong prosecutors allege democracy publisher Jimmy Lai urged protests, sanctions against China
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
‘Bachelorette’ Rachel Lindsay’s husband, Bryan Abasolo, files for divorce after 4 years of marriage
Holiday week swatting incidents target and disrupt members of Congress
Missing NC teen found concealed under Kentucky man's home through trap door hidden by rug: Police